This article provides an overview of the British Army Reserve Physical Training Instructor (PTI) Advanced Module One (AM1) course.
The aim of the AM1 course is to enhance the knowledge of the Army Reserve PTI (Intermediate) instructor.
The course is open to individuals in the rank range of Lance Corporal to Warrant Officer Class One (WO1) (see note 1) serving in the Army Reserve.
The following points regarding student attendance should be noted:
- Private Soldiers: Private soldiers are not permitted to attend the course, however, Local Lance Corporals may apply but will be afforded the lowest priority when loading the course.
- Foreign students: Foreign countries wishing to send students on the course must first apply to International Defence Training, who will then process the course application on their behalf.
- Suitability: Students attending the course are to be physically fit and have an aptitude for physical and recreational training. Applicants are to be volunteers and must meet the pre- course requisites as detailed in the CAS.
All students must:
- Have successfully completed the Army Reserve PTI Intermediate Modules One, Two and Three;
- Hold the minimum substantive rank of Lance Corporal;
- Have passed a personal fitness assessment (PFA) and annual fitness test (AFT) within the previous one month; and
- Must be medically fit to attend the course.
- Students are to provide a completed FMed 566 annotated as “FIT TO ATTEND COURSE” and signed by a Medical Officer.
- Failure to produce this document will result in the student being returned to unit (RTU).
 In exceptional circumstances units may apply to LFTD to have the range increased to Lieutenant Colonel (OF-4).
4.0 Course Objectives
On successful completion of the AM1 course, the Army Reserve PTI (Intermediate) will be able to utilise the new skills taught in physical training lessons including resistance training and strengthening exercises.
5.0 Outline of the Course
- The AM1 course is two (2) days in duration, usually over a weekend.
- Students will be required to successfully complete a written exam.
- Due to the largely theoretical content of AM1, students will not be required to complete a practical assessment.
An outline of the Regular Army’s All Arms Physical Training Instructor (AA PTI) course can be found here.
On successful completion of AM1, the student will be awarded the qualification of Army Reserve PTI (Intermediate) with AM1.
7.0 Further Courses
Other courses that can be attended include:
- Army Reserve Physical Training Instructor Intermediate Module One (IM1).
- Army Reserve Physical Training Instructor Intermediate Module Two (IM2).
- Army Reserve Physical Training Instructor Intermediate Module Three (IM3).
- Army Reserve Physical Training Instructor Advanced Module Two (AM2).
- Army Reserve Physical Training Instructor Advanced Module Three (AM3).