This article provides an overview of the recruitment and selection process for Army Engineering Officers wishing to join the Irish Defence Forces (IDF).
2.0 What is the Role of an Army Engineering Officer?
Army Engineer Officers are commissioned members of the Army Corp of Engineers, a Combat Support Corp.
The primary role of the Corp of Engineers to help the army live, move and fight while denying the same to the enemy. This involves a variety of task including:
- Camp building and life support;
- Mine clearance operations;
- Route clearance; and
- Installation maintenance and construction.
In addition to their engineering role, officers are expected to lead and manage the personnel of the Engineer Corps.
3.0 Eligibility Criteria and Professional Qualifications
- Must be under 30 years of age on the closing date for applications.
- Must hold a third level Degree (Level 8) or equivalent qualification recognised for Corporate Membership of Engineers Ireland in one of the following subjects:
- Civil/structural engineering; or
- Electrical engineering.
4.0 Army Engineering Officer Competition
The recruitment and selection process for Direct Entry Army Engineer Officers is held as required, and is known as the Direct Entry Army Engineer Officer Competition. Dates for competitions are advertised in national newspapers and the IDF website.
The process includes:
- Online Application.
- Candidates who are deemed eligible will be asked to attend for Interview.
- Medical Exam:
- The top scoring candidates at the Interview will be called to attend a full medical examination in St. Bricin’s Military Hospital, Dublin.
- Security Clearance:
- In conjunction with the medical exam all candidates will be security vetted by An Garda SÁochána.
- Candidates will be required to pass both the medical examination and security vetting to be considered for induction.
Candidates are placed in a competition’s order of merit, with only the top scoring candidates being offered a commission in the IDF with the rank of Lieutenant (OF-1).
5.0 Army Engineering Officer Training
All newly commissioned Army Engineering Officers will undertake a Military Induction course.
6.0 Assignment to First Unit
Army Engineering Officers are assigned according to the needs of the IDF with units based at the following locations:
- Collins Barracks, Cork.
- Custume Barracks, Athlone.
- Defence Forces Training Centre, Curragh Camp, County Kildare.
- Cathal Brugha Barracks, Rathmines, Dublin.