This website will provide you with all the information you ever needed to know regarding Outdoor Fitness, Fitness Boot Camps, Military Fitness and Military Training in the UK and [eventually] further afield.
This site will also provide the reader with evidence-based summaries of contemporary and historical research, HR, news and other stuff relevant to the area of military training and the fitness industry.
- Dunfermline, Scotland (UK) from August 2018 to Present.
- Perth, Western Australia from July 2016 to August 2018.
- Glasgow, Scotland (UK) from March 2013 to July 2016.
My name is Andrew Marshall and I am a sixteen year veteran of the British Army (October 1990 to August 2006).
- Qualified as a military fitness instructor in 1996.
Started working in the commercial outdoor fitness market (fitness boot camp and military fitness) in 2000.
Worked as a Fitness Instructor/Personal Trainer and Fitness Manager across the UK (Southampton, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Glasgow, Dunfermline, Falkirk, and Perth).
- Husband and Father of three kids.
- Personal Fitness Modalities: loaded marches, press-ups, weight training, burpees and indoor rowing.
- Baking and eating cakes (good for hiding my 6-pack!).
- Going to the cinema.
- Visiting new restaurants.
- Reading (mainly sci-fi, military history, New Scientist and The Economist).
- Computer games (strategy and FPS).
- Daily Politics (or Politics Live since 2018).
- Regimental and Squadron Physical Training Instructor;
- Defence Diving School Physical Training Instructor;
- Defence Diving School Training Officer;
- Defence Logistics and Supply School Training Officer;
- Group Fitness Instructor (Outdoor Fitness & Fitness Boot Camps);
- Manager (Outdoor Fitness & Boot Camps); and
- Founder & Editor of the Boot Camp & Military Fitness Institute online knowledge centre.
- Marshall, A. (2015) The Group Fitness Running Handbook. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
- Acred, C. (ed) (2015) The Military & Society. Volume 289. Published by Independence Educational Publishers in July 2015, Cambridge. Author of UK Military Recruitment and Selection Overview section, pp.8-11.
Civilian Qualifications and Professional Development:
- MOOC (Undergraduate Level): Foundations of Virtual Instruction (Pass) (University of California, Irvine) (2015).
- MOOC (Undergraduate Level): Exercise Physiology: The Athlete Within (Distinction) (University of Melbourne) (2013)
- MOOC: (Foundation Level) Nutrition & Physical Activity for Health (Pass) (University of Pittsburgh) (2013)
- Elite Functional Trainer Certification (Pass) (Australian Fitness Network) (2017)
- Level 2 Intermediate Recreational Running Coach (IRRC) (Pass) (Athletics Australia) (2016)
- VRQ Level 3 Certificate in Training in Outdoor Environments (Pass) (Fitness Scotland) (2013)
- BA (Hons) in Business Studies (First Class) (Glasgow Caledonian University) (2011)
- Certificate in Training Practice (Pass) (Salisbury College) (2006)
- Certificate in Personnel Practice (Pass) (Aldershot College) (2006)
- Level 3 Certificate in Delivering Learning (Pass) (Portsmouth College) (2005)
- NVQ Level 3 in Learning & Development (Pass) (Portsmouth College) (2005)
Military Qualifications and Professional Development:
- Forklift Operator’s Licence.
- Aerial Slide and Obstacle Course Supervisor.
- Physical Training Instructor Class 3 (now known as AA PTI).
- All Arms Physical Training Instructor (Upgrade Course).
- All Arms Commando Course.
- Army Compressed Air Diver.
- Army Advanced Diver.
- PADI Advanced Diver.
- UK Defence Diving School First Aid Course (HSE First Aid at Work & O2 Admin).
- Royal Navy Level II NBCD 23.
- Oxygen Administration & Diving Illness Module.
- Military First Aid Training (MFAT).
- Defence Diver Extended Medical Skills (DDEMS).
- Sea Survival & Safety Equipment Maintainer.
- OOW (Officer of the Watch), Near-Coastal, Ships Under 500gt.
- Short Range Certificate (VHF Radio & GMDSS).
- Basic Sea Survival Course.
- Intermediate Sea Survival Course.
- STCW95 Basic Safety Training (BST): Fire Fighting & Fire Prevention, Personal Survival Techniques, Personal Safety & Social Responsibility, and Elementary First Aid.
- STCW Watch Rating (Navigational).
- STCW Advanced Training: Proficiency in Survival Craft, Advanced Fire Fighting & IMDG (International Maritime of Dangerous Goods) Code.
- Junior Management Course (MPC: Military Proficiency Course).
- Assistant NBC Instructor Course.
- Driver Class 3 Course (LGV Class 2, and later on LGV Class 1).
- Seaman Class Three Course.
- Seaman Class Two Course.
- Navigator Class Two Course (OOW Course).
- Navigator Class One Course (OOW Upgrade Course).
- DITS: Defence Instructional Techniques Course (military teaching qualification).
- Care of Trainees Course.
- Discipline & Grievance Course.
- Equality & Diversity Course.
- Alcohol Awareness Course.
- Drugs Awareness Course.