This website will provide you with all the information you ever needed to know regarding Outdoor Fitness, Fitness Boot Camps, Military Fitness and Military Training in the UK and [eventually] further afield.
This site will also provide the reader with evidence-based summaries of contemporary and historical research, HR, news and other stuff relevant to the area of military training and the fitness industry.
- Dunfermline, Scotland (UK) from August 2018 to Present.
- Perth, Western Australia from July 2016 to August 2018.
- Glasgow, Scotland (UK) from March 2013 to July 2016.
A sixteen year veteran of the British Army (October 1990 to August 2006).
- Qualified as a military fitness instructor in 1996.
Started working in the commercial outdoor fitness market (fitness boot camp and military fitness) in 2000.
Worked as an Instructor and Manager across the UK (Southampton, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Glasgow, Dunfermline, Falkirk, and Perth).
- Husband and Father of three kids.
- Fitness Modalities: loaded marches, press-ups, weight training, burpees and indoor rowing.
- Baking and eating cakes (good for hiding my 6-pack!).
- Going to the cinema.
- Visiting new restaurants.
- Reading (mainly sci-fi, military history, New Scientist and The Economist).
- Computer games (strategy and FPS).
- Daily Politics (or Politics Live since 2018).
- Regimental and Squadron Physical Training Instructor;
- Defence Diving School Physical Training Instructor;
- Defence Diving School Training Officer;
- Defence Logistics and Supply School Training Officer;
- Group Fitness Instructor (Outdoor Fitness & Fitness Boot Camps);
- Manager (Outdoor Fitness & Boot Camps); and
- Founder & Editor of the Boot Camp & Military Fitness Institute online knowledge centre.
- Marshall, A. (2015) The Group Fitness Running Handbook. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
- Acred, C. (ed) (2015) The Military & Society. Volume 289. Published by Independence Educational Publishers in July 2015, Cambridge. Author of UK Military Recruitment and Selection Overview section, pp.8-11.
Civilian Qualifications and Professional Development:
- MOOC (Undergraduate Level): Foundations of Virtual Instruction (Pass) (University of California, Irvine) (2015).
- MOOC (Undergraduate Level): Exercise Physiology: The Athlete Within (Distinction) (University of Melbourne) (2013)
- MOOC: (Foundation Level) Nutrition & Physical Activity for Health (Pass) (University of Pittsburgh) (2013)
- Elite Functional Trainer Certification (Pass) (Australian Fitness Network) (2017)
- Level 2 Intermediate Recreational Running Coach (IRRC) (Pass) (Athletics Australia) (2016)
- VRQ Level 3 Certificate in Training in Outdoor Environments (Pass) (Fitness Scotland) (2013)
- BA (Hons) in Business Studies (First Class) (Glasgow Caledonian University) (2011)
- Certificate in Training Practice (Pass) (Salisbury College) (2006)
- Certificate in Personnel Practice (Pass) (Aldershot College) (2006)
- Level 3 Certificate in Delivering Learning (Pass) (Portsmouth College) (2005)
- NVQ Level 3 in Learning & Development (Pass) (Portsmouth College) (2005)
Military Qualifications and Professional Development:
- Forklift Operator’s Licence.
- Aerial Slide and Obstacle Course Supervisor.
- Physical Training Instructor Class 3 (now known as AA PTI).
- All Arms Physical Training Instructor (Upgrade Course).
- All Arms Commando Course.
- Army Compressed Air Diver.
- Army Advanced Diver.
- PADI Advanced Diver.
- UK Defence Diving School First Aid Course (HSE First Aid at Work & O2 Admin).
- Royal Navy Level II NBCD 23.
- Oxygen Administration & Diving Illness Module.
- Military First Aid Training (MFAT).
- Defence Diver Extended Medical Skills (DDEMS).
- Sea Survival & Safety Equipment Maintainer.
- OOW (Officer of the Watch), Near-Coastal, Ships Under 500gt.
- Short Range Certificate (VHF Radio & GMDSS).
- Basic Sea Survival Course.
- Intermediate Sea Survival Course.
- STCW95 Basic Safety Training (BST): Fire Fighting & Fire Prevention, Personal Survival Techniques, Personal Safety & Social Responsibility, and Elementary First Aid.
- STCW Watch Rating (Navigational).
- STCW Advanced Training: Proficiency in Survival Craft, Advanced Fire Fighting & IMDG (International Maritime of Dangerous Goods) Code.
- Junior Management Course (MPC: Military Proficiency Course).
- Assistant NBC Instructor Course.
- Driver Class 3 Course (LGV Class 2, and later on LGV Class 1).
- Seaman Class Three Course.
- Seaman Class Two Course.
- Navigator Class Two Course (OOW Course).
- Navigator Class One Course (OOW Upgrade Course).
- DITS: Defence Instructional Techniques Course (military teaching qualification).
- Care of Trainees Course.
- Discipline & Grievance Course.
- Equality & Diversity Course.
- Alcohol Awareness Course.
- Drugs Awareness Course.