RAF Syerston started life as a Bomber Command station in 1940 operating Wellington, Manchester and Lancaster bombers. Post war, RAF Syerston became a training base, eventually transferring to Flying Training Command and 2 Flying Training School operating Jet Provosts. From 1971 to 1975 the station was under care and maintenance, reopening in January 1975 for light aircraft and gliding operations.
RAF Syerston is currently a satellite airfield of RAF College Cranwell and home to the RAF Central Gliding School (CGS), part of 3 Flying Training School. The Central Flying School (Gliding Examiners) also maintains an examining unit at the Station and Syerston is also used for part of Initial Officer Training completed by the Officer and Aircrew Cadet Training Unit (OACTU).
Operations at Syerston consist of a mixture of light aircraft and gliders with occasional fast jet and helicopter movements in support of OACTU exercises and pre-deployment training.