What is a Final Tour of Duty Request (UK)?

Introduction There is a little known regulation that covers ‘Final Tour of Duty’ requests. Ordinarily, first and final house moves in the military are not paid for at public expense; however, provision does exist for paying both Disturbance Expense (DE) and Removal of Personal Effects (RPE) at public expense for a final move, providing that… Read More


What is the Forces Help to Buy Scheme (UK)?

Introduction The Forces Help to Buy (FHTB) scheme is an advance of salary scheme, which is available to help UK Service personnel who want to buy their first home and to enable the option to self-build amongst eligible Service personnel. Outline Since 2014, Regular Service personnel have been able to take an advance of up… Read More

What Allowances Can Personnel in a Long-Term Relationship Claim when Moving on Assignment from One Surplus SFA to Another?

Introduction This article briefly outlines what allowances personnel in a long-term relationship (LTR) can claim when moving on assignment from one surplus service family accommodation (SFA) to another. Outline Generally for cohabitation with a LTR partner, personnel are not eligible to receive any additional allowances in support of their cohabitation. However, changes to policy confirmed… Read More

Army Accommodation: Upgrades & Maintenance

Personnel occupying single living accommodation (SLA) in the UK can expect higher quality properties and improved levels of maintenance, the Army’s head of infrastructure plans has said. Some £450m is to be spent upgrading Army SLA over the next ten years, which will see nearly 4,000 bed spaces built from scratch and 1,100 refurbished by… Read More

How To Execute a Military (House) Move

Moving to a new place can be difficult for any family, but it can be even more challenging for military families. The constant moves and deployments can wear on you – both mentally and physically. But there are steps that you can take to make the process easier – and in some cases, maybe even… Read More

What were the Quartering Acts?

Introduction The Quartering Acts were two or more Acts of British Parliament requiring local governments of the American colonies to provide the British soldiers with housing and food. Each of the Quartering Acts was an amendment to the Mutiny Act and required annual renewal by Parliament. They were originally intended as a response to issues… Read More

Help to Buy & the Personal Information Note: PDF vs Mail

Question The Forces Help to Buy (FHTB) is an excellent scheme and I was delighted when my initial approval for funds came back in a single day. However, the system starts to struggle when it comes to the personal information note, which is required by a mortgage lender and also a solicitor as proof of… Read More