What Allowances Can Personnel in a Long-Term Relationship Claim when Moving on Assignment from One Surplus SFA to Another?


This article briefly outlines what allowances personnel in a long-term relationship (LTR) can claim when moving on assignment from one surplus service family accommodation (SFA) to another.


Generally for cohabitation with a LTR partner, personnel are not eligible to receive any additional allowances in support of their cohabitation.

However, changes to policy confirmed by the Army Allowances Team mean that personnel in the UK who are in a registered LTR on the Joint Personnel Administration (JPA) system can get the SFA rate of Disturbance Expense on a qualifying move (e.g. on assignment to a new duty station), when occupying surplus SFA in a non-FAM (future accommodation model) area.

They can also claim the UK Private Arrangements Self-Help Scheme (UKPASH). This is a private removal arrangement that could help pay towards the cost of hiring a van. It is advised that personnel contact their Unit HR admin team to discuss this and it is important to note that UKPASH applications must be pre-approved by unit HR admin staff and receipts provided.

For example, if a single soldier in a LTR were to move from London to Catterick and successfully applied for surplus SFA, they would be entitled to Disturbance Expense at £1,041 and could claim UKPASH up to £253.44 (correct as of April 2022).

Please note that if you are in a FAM pilot area, the benefits you may be eligible for will differ.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.