- “The will to win is important, but the will to prepare is vital!” Attributed to Joe Paterno.
- “The Will to Prepare Is as Important as the Will to Win” Patrick Allan (2015) quoting Mike Krzyzewski (Coach K).
- “The key is not the will to win… everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.” In replying to Patrick Allan’s article (Allan, 2015), Hoppa states “I believe this paraphrases a quote from Krzyzewski’s mentor Bobby Knight of Indiana University.”
- “The will to win is not nearly so important as the will to prepare to win.” Attributed to Vince Lombardi (Bradt, 2010).
- “It is not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win, that makes the difference”. Attributed to Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant.
- “It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” Attributed to Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant.
- Vincent Thomas “Vince” Lombardi (1913 to 1970) was an American football player, coach, and executive in the National Football League.
- Michael William Krzyzewski, known as Coach K, (1947 to Present) is an American college basketball coach and former player. Since 1980, he has served as the head men’s basketball coach at Duke University.
- Joseph Vincent “Joe” Paterno (1926 to 2012), sometimes referred to as “JoePa”, was an American college football player, and later athletic director and coach.
- Paul William “Bear” Bryant (1913 to 1983) was an American college football player and coach. He was best known as the longtime head coach of the University of Alabama football team.
- Robert Montgomery “Bob” Knight (1940 to Present), nicknamed “The General”, is a retired American basketball coach.
- At least one person believes Joe Paterno ripped off Paul Bryant (sgregory2007, 2008).
- I haven’t been able to determine who provided the ‘original’ quote, or who quoted first.
- As usual, most websites blithely cut and paste other websites/books without considering the particular quote’s providence.
- Sticking with the point of the quotes, just stating you have the will to win is easy; however, displaying you have the will to win through your actions (preparations) is more difficult to sustain,
- From a military perspective, the will to win (the battle) is important. However, the will to prepare (for the battle) is also important.
Allan, P. (2015) The Will to Prepare Is as Important as the Will to Win. Available from World Wide Web: http://lifehacker.com/the-will-to-prepare-is-as-important-as-the-will-to-win-1689480000. [Accessed: 07 August, 2016].
Bradt, G. (2010) The Will to Prepare to Win – Vince Lombardi. Available from World Wide Web: http://www.primegenesis.com/blog/2010/11/popularity-of-lombardi-will-to-prepare-to-win-post/. [Accessed: 07 August, 2016].
sgregory2007 (2008) “The will to win is important but the will to prepare is vital”. Available from World Wide Web: http://forum.quoteland.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99191541/m/2291067331. [Accessed: 07 August, 2016].