Table 1 provides an outline of the numbers who either completed training or where discharged.
|Table 1: British Army discharge (DI) and output (OP)|
|Entry Type ||2010/11||2011/12||2012/13|
- Entry Types include:
- Regular Officer: Regular Direct Entry (DE) Officer undertaking training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS) on the commissioning course.
- CIC: Combined Infantryman Course, which combines phase 1 and 2 training.
- CMS: Common Military Syllabus training for senior entry non-Infantry recruits.
- JE: Junior Entry recruits on either the long or short course.
- Gurkhas and Gibraltar Regiment personnel are excluded from the data.
- Those who ’Discharge’ include those who have been discharged as having a ‘Defect on Enlistment (DoE)’ which are manifestations of the Recruiting Pipeline. This includes Initial Medical Assessment (IMA) failures and those who sustain an injury, or have another life event (such as a conviction), between Assessment Centre and Enlistment, which makes them ineligible to join the Army.
- All of the Entry paths above are very different in their nature, so comparisons between them should be treated with caution.
You can read about the British Army’s Phase 1 Basic Training for both officers and soldiers here.
FOI 2016/11677 dated 04 January 2017.