Research Paper Title
Weight Management Experiences of Overweight and Obese Royal Navy Personnel.
Interviews with 21 overweight and obese Royal Navy (RN) personnel were conducted to understand their perceived facilitators and barriers to weight management.
It was found that the following themes were perceived as relevant to participants’ weight management experiences in the RN:
- The naval environment and culture;
- Influences of others;
- Motivations to manage weight;
- Perceptions of self with regard to excess weight;
- Perceptions of weight management; and
- Explanations for successful and unsuccessful weight management.
Future research that tests the efficacy of interventions for overcoming the perceived barriers to weight management within this population is warranted.
Garip, G., Morton, K., Bridger, R. & Yardley, L. (2014) Weight Management Experiences of Overweight and Obese Royal Navy Personnel. Military Behavioral Health. 2, pp.105-109. doi: 10.1080/21635781.2013.833056
You must log in to post a comment.