- All candidates for entry into the Armed Forces must:
- Be British from birth;
- Hold dual British/other nationality; or
- Be a:
- British National (approximately 66 million).
- Citizen of the Irish Republic (approximately 4.7 million people), or
- A Commonwealth citizen (composed of 53 members states of approximately 2.4 billion people).
- The EU is composed of 28 members states of approximately 512 million people (this includes the UK).
- For some specialisations, such as the Submarine service, candidates must hold British nationality only.
- The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has not sent any invitations to members of EU militaries to join the UK armed forces and they have no plan to recruit non-UK EU nationals into the armed forces.
- This policy was reviewed and unanimously agreed by the Services in 2015.
- Although no non-UK EU military personnel have been invited to join the UK armed forces, they could technically join subject to the above criteria.
FOI dated 11 March 2016.