The Five (US) Special Operations Forces Truths:
- Humans are more important than hardware.
- Quality is better than quantity.
- Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.
- Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.
- Most special operations require non-SOF assistance (forgotten since 1989(ish), but resurrected in 2009).
Adapted from the SOF Imperatives noted in a 1987 report for a House Armed Services Committee, United States and Soviet Special Operations, by retired US Army Colonel Johns Collins working in the Congressional Research Service.
A publicly available, online copy of the report can be found here.
Caruso, M. (2011) SOF Truths…Relationships Truly Matter. Available from World Wide Web: http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Commentaries/Display/tabid/138/Article/163618/sof-truthsrelationships-truly-matter.aspx. [Accessed: 13 December, 2015].