Edward Lawson VC (11 April 1873 to 02 July 1955) was an English recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.
He was a Private in the 1st Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders, British Army during the Tirah Campaign when the following deed took place on 20 October 1897 on the Dargai Heights, for which he was awarded the VC:
The Gordon Highlanders. Private E. Lawson. During the attack on the Dargai Heights on the 20th October, 1897, Private Lawson carried Lieutenant K. Dingwall, the Gordon Highlanders (who was wounded and unable to move), out of a heavy fire, and subsequently returned and brought in Private McMillan, being himself wounded in two places.
Private Lawson continued to serve with his regiment until 1902. He had a further period of military service serving as a Sergeant in the Northern Cyclist Battalion before and during the First World War. His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Gordon Highlanders Museum in Aberdeen, Scotland.
There are two memorials to Edward Lawson in Newcastle upon Tyne. The first is a bench dedicated to him in Old Eldon Square by the war memorial. The second is a memorial too Newcastle’s Victoria Cross recipients outside the Discovery Museum in the city’s west end.
Sometime after The First World War, Edward Lawson lived with his family in Parson’s Avenue, Walker, Newcastle upon Tyne, having moved from the Heaton area of Newcastle upon Tyne.