The Vimy Award is an award presented by the Conference of Defence Associations Institute (CDA Institute) to the “Canadian who has made a significant and outstanding contribution to the defence and security of Canada and the preservation of (its) democratic values”.
Refer to Vimy Ridge Day, Canadian National Vimy Memorial, Robert Manuel, and Vimy Ridge (March).
The “VIMY AWARD”, a 1⁄4-scale statue of a World War I officer by André Gauthier, was commissioned for the CDA Institute.
The award, first presented in 1991, is given annually in November at a dinner held at the Canadian War Museum. The 2013 Vimy Award went to Brigadier-General Don Macnamara, a former President of the CDA Institute and member of the CDA Institute’s Board of Directors; the CDA is the sponsor of the Vimy Award since 1991.
The Award honours the bravery and sacrifices of the Canadian soldiers who were victorious at the Battle of Vimy Ridge in April 1917.
Past recipients of the Vimy Award are:
- 1991 Joe Clark, Right Honourable.
- 1992 John de Chastelain, General.
- 1993 Lewis MacKenzie, Major General.
- 1994 William Howard, Major General.
- 1995 Roméo Dallaire, Major Général.
- 1996 Jack Granatstein, Doctor.
- 1997 Brian Dickson, Right Honourable.
- 1998 Larry Murray, Vice Admiral.
- 1999 Charles H. Belzile, Lieutenant Général.
- 2000 Barnett Danson, Right Honourable.
- 2001 Leonard Birchall, Air Commodore.
- 2002 John Allen Fraser, Colonel, the Honourable.
- 2003 Paul David Manson, General.
- 2004 David Bercuson, Doctor.
- 2005 Gordon Hamilton Southam.
- 2006 David Fraser, Brigadier General.
- 2007 Ray Henault, General.
- 2008 Rick Hillier, General.
- 2009 William Kenneth MacDonald, Warrant Officer.
- 2010 Adrienne Clarkson, Right Honourable.
- 2011 Jonathan Vance, Major General.
- 2012 Federick Mannix, Honorary Colonel.
- 2013 Don Macnamara, Brigadier General (Ret’d).
- 2014 Blake Goldring, Honorary Colonel.
- 2015 Hugh Segal, Senator.
- 2016 James Boutilier, Doctor.
- 2017 William Graham, Right Honourable.
- 2018 Christine Whitecross, Lieutenant General.
- 2019 Richard Fadden, OC.
- 2020 J.O. Michel Maisonneuve, Lieutenant Général.