Aim of the Course
To provide the necessary knowledge and experience to qualify a junior ofﬁcer as an Air Defence Troop Commander in an Air Defence regiment.
Facilitated by IDT(A).
- Second Lieutenant (OF-1) to Captain (OF-2).
- IELTS Level 5.5.
- Completed the Regular or Reserve Commissioning course at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst or an equivalent course at a foreign military academy.
Eight (8) weeks, with three (3) courses per year.
Royal School of Artillery Larkhill.
Outline of Course
Training objectives cover all technical knowledge and practice to qualify as an Air Defence troop commander.
- Organisation and Deployment.
- The organisation, roles and tactical employment of UK Ground Based Air Defence (GBAD) artillery. Identify the key components of the Joint AD environment and the way in which UK GBAD can be fully integrated.
- Includes both NATO and UK, (Land, Maritime and Air) Command and Control (C2) structures and procedures.
- GBAD Liason Ofﬁcer.
- The role and responsiblities of the GBAD LO within Division (Div), Brigade (Bde) and Battle Group (BG) to include GBAD current and future planning on operations in support of the commanders mission.
- To provide the Bde/BG with an AD technical expert whilst on operations.
- Roles and Responsibilities of an Air Defence Troop Commander.
- Understanding the management, employment and deployment including C2 of UK GBAD systems.
- Technical Training.
- The detailed technical understanding of UK GBAD weapon systems, land/air/ maritime integration air space planning, Battlespace Management (BM) and C2 systems.
- Practical Training.
- Students conduct base line weapon system training in sitting and deployment exercises and Brigade level staff planning training to include war gamming and simulation.
- The competences of range staff, safety staff and unit personnel in the planning control, conduct and safety of live practices involving discipline-speciﬁc equipment.