Aim of the Course
Upon successful completion of the course qualiﬁed students will be able to act as a Command Post Ofﬁcer (CPO). The CPO is responsible for the efﬁcient operation of the Command Post in response to Calls for Fire. They supervise the computation of ballistic data and relay this information to the Gun Platforms.
Facilitated by IDT(A).
- Second Lieutenant to Lieutenant (OF-1).
- IELTS Level 5.5.
Eight (8) weeks, with three (3) courses per year.
Royal School of Artillery Larkhill.
Outline of Course
- Operate within a Close Support Regiment Structure.
- Understand the mission of a Gun Regiment within the British Army and the structure within a Brigade setting.
- Carry out the Duties of a CPO during Deployment.
- To include the understanding of the tactical picture, deployment and occupation procedures.
- Carry out Fire Missions Procedures. Learn and develop technical competence in the computation of ﬁring data using the current in service systems, FCBISA, FCA and MPOD.
- Includes both simulation and live serials working in the ﬁeld setting.
- Carry out Ammunition Management.
- Understand correct ammunition handling and procedures.
- Manage Battery Equipment.
- Develop an understanding of the maintenance chain within a Gun Regiment and procedures that need to be completed.
- Manage Training.
- Learn how to develop the soldiers under your command. Design and deliver challenging and relevant training within a Close Support Regimental construct.
- Introduction to Ballistics.
- Conducted at the Defence Academy Shrivenham, an in depth, 3 day study into the history and application of ballistics for artillery.