UK Defence Standardisation (DSTAN) is responsible for the UK Ministry of Defence’s (MOD) standardisation policies, standards, procedures and guidance on standardisation issues both nationally
DStan is part of the Director Technical organisation within Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S).
What is DSTAN Responsible For?
DSTAN provides performance specifications that support the delivery of military capability.
- Maintenance and development of a healthy and relevant portfolio of UK Defence Standards (Def Stans), providing associated standardisation advice and guidance including the status, development, selection and application of UK Defence Standards.
- Provision of standardisation management support and assistance to project teams both to develop their ‘Standardisation management plan’ and implementing the intelligent selection and use of standards.
- Negotiates, influences and agrees NATO and European Defence Agency (EDA) standardisation policy and procedures in support of UK MOD military operations.
- Provision of standardisation policy (in JSP 920) which is consistent with government, NATO and EDA/EC policy.
- Provision of MOD standardisation input to cross-government standardisation committees.
- Management of national ratification of operational and materiel NATO Standardisation Agreements (STANAGs) in support of UK MOD military operations.
- Provision of online access to unclassified UK Defence Standards, NATO STANAGs and Allied Publications (APs).
- Provision of access to UK Defence Standards, NATO STANAGs and APs that are not available to download (above Classified).
- Provision of access to other standards (beyond UK Defence Standards and STANAGS) via the Standards On-Line (SOL) framework and demand orders.
- Facilitates and delivers on the MOD and commercial licences for the distribution of Defence Standards, STANAGs and APs, generating revenue for DIPR.
- Provision of advice, guidance and training on the SOL capabilities, such as watch lists.
- Maintains and protects Secretary of State’s intellectual property rights in his trademarks.
- Monitoring the implementation of STANAGs and APs in MOD contracts, to aid in assessing the effectiveness of the NATO Standardisation Agency Organisation.
Doing Business with Defence Handbook. Edition 24 (2018).