What makes a great boss?
This is list of things managers can do to keep employees happy (apparently), culled from a 2015 survey of office workers, suggest would-be leaders would do well to focus on the freebies rather than the theory.
- Extra holiday on birthdays.
- Leaving early on a Friday (when possible, the UK military will ‘knock off’ early on a Friday).
- Free gym membership (a perk of being in the UK military).
- Office sweets.
- Free vending machines (the US military had free vending machines in their main bases in Iraq!).
- Team spa days (known as Adventure Training in the UK military).
- Extra training courses (the UK military probably has the widest range of work-related and non-work-related training courses in the UK).
- Vouchers on birthdays.
- More time off at Christmas (when possible the UK military attempts to provide personnel with 2-3 weeks leave at xmas).
- Paid-for team lunches (depends on how stingy your [military] boss is!).
People Management (2015) Forget Vision – Have A Sweetie. People Management: Magazine of the Chartered Institute for Personnel and Development. October 2015, pp.9.