- 1694 – The warrior queen Dandara, leader of the runaway slaves in Quilombo dos Palmares, Brazil, is captured and completes suicide rather than be returned to a life of slavery.
- 1778 – American Revolutionary War: In Paris the Treaty of Alliance and the Treaty of Amity and Commerce are signed by the United States and France signalling official recognition of the new republic.
- 1806 – Battle of San Domingo: British naval victory against the French in the Caribbean.
- 1819 – Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles founds Singapore.
- 1840 – Signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, establishing New Zealand as a British colony.
- Waitangi Day, celebrates the founding of New Zealand in 1840.
- 1862 – American Civil War: Forces under the command of Ulysses S. Grant and Andrew H. Foote give the Union its first victory of the war, capturing Fort Henry, Tennessee in the Battle of Fort Henry.
- 1899 – Spanish-American War: The Treaty of Paris, a peace treaty between the United States and Spain, is ratified by the United States Senate.
- 1900 – The Permanent Court of Arbitration, an international arbitration court at The Hague, is created when the Senate of the Netherlands ratifies an 1899 peace conference decree.
- 1919 – The American Legion is founded.
- 1922 – The Washington Naval Treaty is signed in Washington, D.C., limiting the naval armaments of United States, Britain, Japan, France, and Italy.
- 1934 – Far-right leagues rally in front of the Palais Bourbon in an attempted coup against the French Third Republic, creating a political crisis in France.
- 1951 – The Canadian Army enters combat in the Korean War.
- 1959 – At Cape Canaveral, Florida, the first successful test firing of a Titan intercontinental ballistic missile is accomplished.
- 1981 – The National Resistance Army of Uganda launches an attack on a Ugandan Army installation in the central Mubende District to begin the Ugandan Bush War.
- 1989 – The Round Table Talks start in Poland, thus marking the beginning of the overthrow of communism in Eastern Europe.
- 2000 – Second Chechen War: Russia captures Grozny, Chechnya, forcing the separatist Chechen Republic of Ichkeria government into exile.
- 1536 – Sassa Narimasa, Japanese samurai (d. 1588)
- 1732 – Charles Lee, English-American general (d. 1782)
- 1756 – Aaron Burr, American colonel and politician, 3rd Vice President of the United States (d. 1836)
- 1769 – Ludwig von Wallmoden-Gimborn, Austrian general (d. 1862)
- 1772 – George Murray, Scottish general and politician, Secretary of State for War and the Colonies (d. 1830)
- 1781 – John Keane, 1st Baron Keane, Irish general and politician, Governor of Saint Lucia (d. 1844)
- 1797 – Joseph von Radowitz, Prussian general and politician, Foreign Minister of Prussia (d. 1853)
- 1832 – John Brown Gordon, American general and politician, 53rd Governor of Georgia (d. 1904)
- 1833 – J.E.B. Stuart, American general (d. 1864)
- 1834 – Wilhelm von Scherff, German general and author (d. 1911)
- 1875 – Leonid Gobyato, Russian general (d. 1915)
- 1892 – Maximilian Fretter-Pico, German general (d. 1984)
- 1898 – Harry Haywood, American soldier and politician (d. 1985)
- 1908 – Edward Lansdale, American general and CIA agent (d. 1987)
- 1910 – Roman Czerniawski, Polish air force officer and spy (d. 1985)
- 1932 – Camilo Cienfuegos, Cuban soldier and anarchist (d. 1959)
- 1938 – Fred Mifflin, Canadian admiral and politician, 19th Minister of Veterans Affairs (d. 2013)
- 1946 – Jim Turner, American captain and politician
- 1947 – Charlie Hickcox, American swimmer (d .2010)
- 1961 – Yury Onufriyenko, Ukrainian-Russian colonel, pilot, and astronaut
- 1986 – Tony Johnson, American mixed martial artist
- 1215 – Hōjō Tokimasa, Japanese shikken of the Kamakura bakufu (b. 1138)
- 1899 – Leo von Caprivi, German general and politician, Chancellor of Germany (b. 1831)
- 1942 – Jaan Soots, Estonian general and politician, 7th Estonian Minister of War (b. 1880)
- 1964 – Emilio Aguinaldo, Filipino general and politician, 1st President of the Philippines (b. 1869)
- 1985 – James Hadley Chase, English-Swiss soldier and author (b. 1906)
- 2004 – Gerald Bouey, Canadian lieutenant and economist (b. 1920)
- 2007 – Willye White, American runner and long jumper (b. 1939)
You must log in to post a comment.