What is a Type 45 Destroyer?
The Royal Navy’s six Type 45 Destroyers are among the most advanced warships ever built. They are suited to a range of tasks, including
- Hunting down pirates;
- Defending the Fleet from air attack; and
- Providing humanitarian aid.
Equipped with the ferocious Sea Viper missile, which can knock moving targets out of the sky from up to 70 miles away, Type 45 Destroyers are the backbone of the Royal Navy.
A Type 45 has a total displacement of 7,350 tonnes, is 152 metres in length, has a top speed of 30 knots, and a range of 7,000 nautical miles.
- The average cost to completely fuel one Type 45 is £290,000; and
- The average cost of fuel for one Type 45 over a year is £1,390,000.
- That the above figures for the Type 45 are based upon the Ministry of Defence Stock fuel price as at July 2016 and you will appreciate that fuel pricing is subject to fluctuating market prices.
- The cost of fuel over one year has a wide range dependent on the deployment activity for each vessel.
FOI 2016/08865 dated 10 October 2016.