An Overview of Welfare Support for UK Military Veterans


The provision of welfare support for UK veterans was set up in its current form in 1948, to ensure those ex-service personnel with welfare needs were supported by the State.

All of the below links go to webpages on the official UK Government website ( or NHS.

What is Veterans UK?

Veterans UK provide free support for veterans and their families, including a helpline, welfare services, transition services, and injury/bereavement compensation scheme payments.

They can help ex-service personnel get appropriate support from government, local authorities, independent bodies, and the charity sector.

Veterans UK is part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD) and is located at Tomlinson House, Thornton Cleveleys.

Organisation of Veterans UK

The service currently consists of:

  • Helpline;
  • Injury/Bereavement Compensation Scheme Payments;
  • Veterans Welfare Service;
  • Defence Transition Services; and
  • Integrated Personal Commissioning for Veterans.

Contact Details

  • Address: Veterans UK, Ministry of Defence, Norcross, Thornton Cleveleys, FY5 3WP, United Kingdom.
  • Email
  • Freephone (UK only): 0808 1914 218.
  • Telephone (overseas): +44 1253 866 043.
  • 8.00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
  • Dedicated bereavement line: 0800 169 3458.
    • Veterans UK are unable to answer general queries on this number, as it needs to remain free for its intended use.
    • If your call is not about bereavement please dial 0808 191 4218.



  • Our helpline staff offer specific advice on war disablement pension and armed forces compensation scheme claims.
  • The helpline also offers advice on other issues including benefits, pensions, loans and grants, emergency accommodation, finding a job, retraining, health issues, welfare concerns, service records and medals.
  • They also have up to date information on central/local government and ex service organisations, and other voluntary groups.
  • When the helpline is closed, callers will be given the option to be routed to The Samaritans 24hr helpline.

Injury/Bereavement Compensation Scheme Payments

Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS)

  • Individuals can claim under the AFCS for an illness or injury that was caused as a result of service on or after 06 April 2005.
  • Do not need to have left the armed forces before claiming.

War Pension Scheme (WPS)

  • Assessment, award, payment and maintenance of war pensions, related allowances and other payments for those disabled or bereaved through service before 05 April 2005.

Armed Forces Pensions (AFP)

  • Assessment, award, payment and maintenance of all pensions relating to service in the armed forces.
  • This includes the armed forces pension schemes and reserve forces pension scheme.
  • Armed forces pensions enquiries:
    • Joint Personnel Administration Centre (JPAC), Mail Point 480, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX, United Kingdom.
    • Phone: 0800 085 3600 (from overseas: 0044 141 224 3600; or military: 94560 3600).

Veterans Welfare Service (VWS)

  • Provides support to all veterans, their families and dependants.
  • The VWS focuses on providing assistance where a change in circumstances may have resulted in a welfare need.
  • One to one advice is provided by phone or home visit when needed.
  • The Veterans Welfare Service has four centres located in Scotland, Blackpool, Kidderminster, and Portsmouth – with twenty (20) staff across these four centres.

Defence Transition Service (DTS)

  • DTS provides a full range of transition support for Service Leavers and their families, who are facing a challenging transition out of the military.
  • You can find further information/guidance here.

Integrated Personal Commissioning for Veterans

The Armed Forces personnel in transition, Integrated Personal Commissioning for Veterans Framework (IPC4V) is a new personalised care approach for the small number of Armed Forces personnel who have complex and enduring physical, neurological and mental health conditions that are attributable to injury whilst in Service.

You can find more information here (NHS England).

Ilford Park Polish Home

  • Residential and nursing care home in Devon for former members of the Polish forces under British command in World War 2, or who were displaced from Poland following World War 2, or their spouses.
  • Ilford Park Polish Home meets a wartime UK government promise made by Winston Churchill.

What is the Defence Transition Referral Protocol (DTRP)?

  • The DTRP is the new mechanism for referring Service Personnel/Leavers, veterans and their families to Veterans UK for information and support.
  • DTRP replaces the former Tri-service welfare referral (TSWR) protocol (which in turn replaced the seriously injured leavers (SIL) and transitional welfare requirement (TWR) protocols).
  • DTRP enables individuals with severe physical or psychological disablement or those considered as having an enduring welfare need with which they will require support post-service and/or Service Leavers (and their families) who do not meet this criteria but who have transitional issues which are likely to impede their chances of a successful transition out of the military, to be referred or to self-refer to Veterans UK.

DTRP Forms

Operational Legacy Investigations and Inquests – Help for Veterans

  • The Army Operational Legacy Branch within the Army Personnel Services Group is the Army’s lead for support and advice to Veterans on matters relating to legacy operations.
  • Their aim is to provide assistance to personnel affected by the legacy investigation processes in Northern Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • Further information can be found here.
  • Address: Army Operational Legacy Branch, Army Personnel Services Group, Ramillies Building, Monxton Road, Andover, SP11 8HJ, United Kingdom.
  • Email:
  • Contact Form: Operational Legacy Investigations and Inquests – Help for Veterans.
  • Telephone: 07813 007 392.

Further Details


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.