- 1143 – King Alfonso VII of León and Castile recognises Portugal as a Kingdom.
- 1607 – Assassins sent by the Pope attempt to kill Venetian statesman and scientist Paolo Sarpi.
- 1789 – French Revolution: The Women’s March on Versailles effectively terminates royal authority.
- 1813 – War of 1812: The Army of the Northwest defeats a British and Native Canadian force threatening Detroit.
- 1877 – The Nez Perce War in the Northwestern United States comes to an end.
- 1910 – In a revolution in Portugal the monarchy is overthrown and a republic is declared.
- 1914 – World War I: An aircraft successfully destroys another aircraft with gunfire.
- 1943 – Ninety-eight American POWs are executed by Japanese forces on Wake Island.
- 1974 – Bombs planted by the PIRA in pubs in Guildford kill four British soldiers and one civilian.
- 1986 – Mordechai Vanunu’s story in The Sunday Times reveals Israel’s secret nuclear weapons.
- 1988 – A Chilean opposition coalition defeats General Augusto Pinochet in his re-election attempt.
- 1991 – An Indonesian Air Force C-130 crash kills 135 people.
- Armed Forces Day (Indonesia).
- 1829 – Chester A. Arthur, American general, lawyer, and politician, 21st President of the United States (d. 1886).
- 1894 – Bevil Rudd, South African runner and journalist (d. 1948).
- 1913 – Eugene B. Fluckey, American admiral, Medal of Honour recipient (d. 2007).
- 1914 – Zhang Zhen, Chinese general and politician (d. 2015).
- 1922 – Bil Keane, American soldier and cartoonist (d. 2011).
- 1926 – Avraham Adan, Israeli general (d. 2012).
- 1929 – Richard F. Gordon Jr., American captain, pilot, and astronaut (d. 2017).
- 1930 – Pavel Popovich, Ukrainian general, pilot, and astronaut (d. 2009).
- 1940 – Rein Aun, Estonian decathlete and coach (d. 1995).
- 1959 – Maya Lin, American architect and sculptor, designed the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and Civil Rights Memorial.
- 1976 – Ramzan Kadyrov, Russian-Chechen general and politician, 3rd President of the Chechen Republic.
- 1802 – Sanité Bélair, Haitian freedom fighter (b. 1781).
- 1805 – Charles Cornwallis, 1st Marquess Cornwallis, English general and politician, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland (b. 1738).
- 1813 – Tecumseh, American tribal leader (b. 1768).
- 1918 – Roland Garros, French soldier and pilot (b. 1888).
- 1930 – Christopher Thomson, 1st Baron Thomson, Indian-English soldier and politician, Secretary of State for Air (b. 1875).
- 1933 – Nikolai Yudenich, Russian general (b. 1862).
- 2001 – Mike Mansfield, American soldier, politician, and diplomat, 22nd United States Ambassador to Japan (b. 1903).