Aim of the Course
To develop the the requisite skills and knowledge of selected ofﬁcers in order that they may perform the tasks of a Fire Support Team Commander (Close Support).
Facilitated by IDT(A).
- Captain (OF-2).
- IELTS Level 5.5.
- Qualified AFV Commander (armoured students only).
Eleven (11) weeks, with three (3) courses per year.
Royal School of Artillery Larkhill.
Outline of Course
- Supervise/Operate Specialist OP Equipment:
- Understand and brief the capability of equipment, including Precision Strike suite, STA equipment (including radar) and OPV where relevant.
- Apply the Principles of CS Technical Gunnery:
- Encapsulating the Gunnery Problem and focussing on a variety of mission-sets enabling the student to become technically proﬁcient and able to supervise subordinates.
- Coordinate and Direct Joint Fires. Primarily concerned with Joint Fires Assets at Coy/Sqn level, students also learn and practice standard and nonstandard missions, Fire Planning, and ROE and CD factors.
- Liaise, Integrate with and Advise the Manoeuvre arm:
- Learn capabilities in order to provide advice on OS, FST employability and Risk.
- Training Support.
- The delivery and evaluation of training is conducted in accordance with the Defence Systems Approach to Training (DSAT).
- Recce and Selection of an Observation Post (OP).
- Supervise/Operate Specialist OP Equipment.
- Task Intelligence Surveillance
- Target Acquisition Reconnaissance (ISTAR) Assets.
- Acquire and transmit Tactical Information.
- Coordinate and Direct Joint Fires.
- Apply the Principles of CS Technical Gunnery.
- Apply the Principles of the Artillery Safe System.
- Liaise, Integrate with and Advise the Manoeuvre Arm.
- Management of Battlespace within a BG AO.
- Communicate as an FST.
- Operate within a CS Regt.
- Mentor/Conduct Tac Group training.
On successful completion officers will be qualified as a FST Commander.