Aim of the Course
The aim of this course is to develop the knowledge and skills of selected Royal Artillery Ofﬁcers to carry out duties of a Battery Commander.
Facilitated by IDT(A).
- Captain (OF-2) to Major (OF-3).
- IELTS Level 5.5.
Two (2) week course conducted annually in June.
Royal School of Artillery Larkhill.
Outline of Course
- Supervise and understand battery capabilities:
- Understand and brief the capability of Battery equipment to include GBAD, ISTAR, Joint Fires integrated into Combined Army Manoeuvre and the requisite support packages required to sustain systems.
- Maintain unit readiness:
- Primarily focuses on maintaining readiness of both the equipment and personnel assigned to the Battery over time.
- Maintain good order and discipline within the unit:
- Review and update on legal matters to ensure good, fair, and timely disciplinary proceedings as they arise.
- Reduce the need to “re-address” legal matters and ensure compliance.
- Provide realistic view of Battery:
- Address common pitfalls new commander’s may or may not face during the days following assumption of command.
- Identiﬁes ways and means to assess personnel, systems, and performance more effectively upon assumption of command.
- Training the Battery:
- The delivery and evaluation of realistic training is conducted in accordance with the Defence Systems Approach to Training (DSAT).
Students then attend the Special-to-discipline course either CS or GBAD or ISTAR.