Aim of the Course
To provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to become an efﬁcient and effective kennel manager.
Facilitated by IDT(A).
- Private soldiers and all non-commissioned ranks.
- IELTS level 6.
- Experience in basic dog handling.
- A reasonable level of physical ﬁtness.
Five (5) days, with five (5) courses per year.
Defence Animal Centre (DAC) Melton Mowbray.
Outline of Course
On completion of the course the kennel manager will be capable of:
- Supervising the maintenance of a kennel section, the kennel area and kennel equipment in a clean and tidy condition.
- Supervising obedience with trained handlers and dog, both leashed and unleashed.
- Recognising the basic signs of health, detect signs of sickness and report any abnormalities.
- Demonstrating the health and safety requirements required for managing a dog section.
- Carrying out all the procedures for taking a sick or injured dog to a veterinary officer.
- Completing all the relevant documentation for the running of the dog section.
- Advising management on the employment of dogs within the Unit.
- Conducting all forms of continuation training to maintain the dog teams at a high level of operational efficiency.
Related Course: Patrol Dog Handler’s Course.