The table below highlights the cost of LSA and LOA to the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) between 2018-2019 and 2019-2020.
|LSA||£102 million||£100.4 million|
|LOA||£118.8 million||£106.5 million|
- The above is taken from the MOD’s Joint Personnel Administration (JPA) system on 22 May 2020.
- Includes all branches of the British Armed Forces.
What is LSA?
- Known as the Long Seperation Allowance (LSA).
- Personnel are paid an extra allowance for every night they are away from their home unit.
- This can be in the UK or overseas.
What is LOA?
- Known as the Local Overseas Allowance (LOA).
- Personnel are paid a daily allowance for the extra cost of living in overseas locations.
FOI 2020/05383 dated 04 June 2020.