- 756 – An Lushan Rebellion: Emperor Xuanzong flees the capital Chang’an as An Lushan’s forces advance toward the city.
- 1420 – Battle of Vítkov Hill, decisive victory of Czech Hussite forces commanded by Jan Žižka against Crusade army led by Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1769 – An expedition led by Gaspar de Portolá leaves its base in California and sets out to find the Port of Monterey (now Monterey, California).
- 1789 – French Revolution: Citizens of Paris storm the Bastille.
- 1789 – Alexander Mackenzie finally completes his journey to the mouth of the great river he hoped would take him to the Pacific, but which turns out to flow into the Arctic Ocean. Later named after him, the Mackenzie is the second-longest river system in North America.
- 1790 – French Revolution: Citizens of Paris celebrate the unity of the French people and the national reconciliation in the Fête de la Fédération.
- 1791 – The Priestley Riots drive Joseph Priestley, a supporter of the French Revolution, out of Birmingham, England.
- 1877 – The Great Railroad Strike of 1877 began in Martinsburg, West Virginia, when wages of Baltimore and Ohio Railroad workers were cut for the third time in a year. The strike was ended on Sept 4 by local and state militias, and federal troops.
- 1900 – Armies of the Eight-Nation Alliance capture Tientsin during the Boxer Rebellion.
- 1915 – World War I: The McMahon–Hussein Correspondence between Hussein bin Ali, Sharif of Mecca and the British official Henry McMahon concerning the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire begins.
- 1916 – World War I: Start of the Battle of Delville Wood as an action within the Battle of the Somme, which was to last until 3 September 1916.
- 1928 – New Vietnam Revolutionary Party is founded in Huế, providing some of the communist party’s most important leaders in its early years.
- 1933 – Gleichschaltung: In Germany, all political parties are outlawed except the Nazi Party.
- 1940 – People’s Seimas held parliamentary elections, and the Union of Labor Lithuania (ULL) won, paving the way for Lithuania to become Lithuanian SSR; Lithuanian Soviet Socialist Republic, consolidating into the Soviet Union on 21 July 1940.
- 1950 – Korean War: North Korean troops initiate the Battle of Taejon.
- 1958 – Iraqi Revolution: In Iraq the monarchy is overthrown by popular forces led by Abd al-Karim Qasim, who becomes the nation’s new leader.
- 1608 – George Goring, Lord Goring, English general (d. 1657).
- 1675 – Claude Alexandre de Bonneval, French general (d. 1747).
- 1755 – Michel de Beaupuy, French general (d. 1796).
- 1889 – Ante Pavelić, Croatian fascist dictator during World War II (d. 1959).
- 1896 – Buenaventura Durruti, Spanish soldier and anarchist (d. 1936).
- 1906 – William H. Tunner, American general (d. 1983).
- 1913 – Gerald Ford, American commander, lawyer, and politician, 38th President of the United States (d. 2006).
- 1922 – Robin Olds, American general and pilot (d. 2007).
- 1922 – Elfriede Rinkel, German SS officer (d. 2018).
- 1930 – Benoît Sinzogan, Beninese military officer and politician.
- 1936 – Robert F. Overmyer, American colonel, pilot, and astronaut (d. 1996).
- 1947 – Claudia J. Kennedy, American general.
- 809 – Ōtomo no Otomaro, Japanese general and Shōgun (b. 731).
- 1262 – Richard de Clare, 6th Earl of Gloucester, English soldier (b. 1222).
- 1774 – James O’Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley, Irish field marshal (b. 1682).
- 1790 – Ernst Gideon von Laudon, Austrian field marshal (b. 1717).
- 1816 – Francisco de Miranda, Venezuelan general (b. 1750).
- 1876 – John Buckley, English soldier, Victoria Cross recipient (b. 1813).
- 1918 – Quentin Roosevelt, American lieutenant and pilot (b. 1897).
- 1965 – Adlai Stevenson II, American soldier and politician, 5th United States Ambassador to the United Nations (b. 1900).
- 1973 – Ali Kılıç, Turkish captain and politician (b. 1890).
- 1979 – Walter Keppel, 9th Earl of Albemarle, English nobleman and soldier (b. 1882).
- 2013 – Herbert M. Allison, American lieutenant and businessman (b. 1943).
- 2014 – John Victor Parker, American soldier, lawyer, and judge (b. 1928).
You must log in to post a comment.