- 1149 – Raymond of Poitiers is defeated and killed at the Battle of Inab by Nur ad-Din Zangi.
- 1444 – Skanderbeg defeats an Ottoman invasion force at Torvioll.
- 1534 – Jacques Cartier is the first European to reach Prince Edward Island.
- 1644 – Charles I of England defeats a Parliamentarian detachment at the Battle of Cropredy Bridge.
- 1659 – At the Battle of Konotop the Ukrainian armies of Ivan Vyhovsky defeat the Russians led by Prince Trubetskoy.
- 1807 – Russo-Turkish War: Admiral Dmitry Senyavin destroys the Ottoman fleet in the Battle of Athos.
- 1880 – France annexes Tahiti.
- 1916 – British diplomat turned Irish nationalist Roger Casement is sentenced to death for his part in the Easter Rising.
- 1922 – France grants 1 km2 at Vimy Ridge “freely, and for all time, to the Government of Canada, the free use of the land exempt from all taxes”.
- 1927 – The Bird of Paradise, a US Army Air Corps Fokker tri-motor, completes the first transpacific flight, from the mainland United States to Hawaii.
- 1945 – Carpathian Ruthenia is annexed by the Soviet Union.
- 1950 – Korean War: US President Harry S. Truman authorises a sea blockade of Korea.
- 1976 – The Seychelles become independent from the United Kingdom.
- 2002 – Naval clashes between South Korea and North Korea lead to the death of six South Korean sailors and sinking of a North Korean vessel.
- 2006 – Hamdan v. Rumsfeld: The US Supreme Court rules that President George W. Bush’s plan to try Guantanamo Bay detainees in military tribunals violates US and international law.
- 2014 – The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant self-declared its caliphate in Syria and northern Iraq.
- Veterans’ Day (Netherlands).
- 1443 – Anthony Browne, English knight (d. 1506).
- 1621 – Willem van der Zaan, Dutch Admiral (d. 1669).
- 1793 – Josef Ressel, Czech-Austrian inventor, invented the propeller (d. 1857).
- 1858 – George Washington Goethals, American general and engineer, co-designed the Panama Canal (d. 1928).
- 1882 – Franz Seldte, German captain and politician, Reich Minister for Labour (d. 1947).
- 1903 – Alan Blumlein, English engineer, developed the H2S radar (d. 1942).
- 1906 – Ivan Chernyakhovsky, Ukrainian general (d. 1945).
- 1906 – Heinz Harmel, German general (d. 2000).
- 1918 – Gene La Rocque, US admiral (d. 2016).
- 1918 – Francis W. Nye, US Air Force major general (d. 2019).
- 1919 – Walter Babington Thomas, Commander of British Far East Land Forces (d. 2017).
- 1922 – John William Vessey, Jr., American general (d. 2016).
- 1925 – Francis S. Currey, American World War II Medal of Honour recipient.
- 1926 – Julius W. Becton, Jr., US lieutenant general.
- 1935 – Vassilis C. Constantakopoulos, Greek captain and businessman (d. 2011).
- 1955 – Charles J. Precourt, American colonel, pilot, and astronaut.
- 1962 – George D. Zamka, American colonel, pilot, and astronaut.
- 884 – Yang Shili, general of the Tang Dynasty.
- 1575 – Baba Nobuharu, Japanese samurai (b. 1515).
- 1992 – Mohamed Boudiaf, Algerian soldier and politician, President of Algeria (b. 1919).
- 2004 – Alvin Hamilton, Canadian lieutenant and politician, 18th Canadian Minister of Agriculture (b. 1912).
- 2007 – Fred Saberhagen, American soldier and author (b. 1930).
You must log in to post a comment.