January 2020 sees the launch of the Future Accommodation Model (FAM) pilot at Aldershot Garrison.
If personnel are based there – or assigned to the town in the next three years – there are new accommodation options, like
renting or buying a home with financial support from the MoD.
What are the Options?
There are four options:
- Single living accommodation (SLA).
- Service families accommodation (SFA), if personnel are:
- In a long-term established relationship;
- Married; or
- In a civil partnership.
- Private accommodation, which covers personnel whether they are:
- Single; or
- In a relationship.
- Personnel can live:
- With friends; or
- With family.
- Buy a property.
With options 1-3, every month the eligible individual will receive £125, plus a payment from the Ministry of Defence (MOD) that takes account of:
- How expensive the area is; and
- How many children the individual has.
With option 4, the individual can choose to buy with support from the MOD, with a monthly payment of £125 put towards their mortgage. Personnel could also:
- Receive associated moving costs;
- Be eligible for a one-off refund of legal expenses if they are a first-time buyer; and
- Use the Forces Help to Buy scheme.
What if I already Own or Rent a Property?
For eligible personnel who already rent a home or own a property more than 50 miles from Aldershot, they can get
FAM payments too – with cash to put towards their current rent or mortgage.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible personnel must:
- Be in Regular or full-time Reserve service (full commitment);
- Belong to an authorised unit;
- Have four years of service; and
- Be either already based at Aldershot Garrison with 12 months or more left on their posting or assigned there
- for 12 months beginning on or after 31 January 2020.
For more information:
- Email: email@example.com; or
- Go to Room 123, Floor 1, Wellington House, St Omer Barracks.