The Army Sergeant-Major of the British Army, WO1 Glenn Haughton, recently published his ‘Green Lines’, which for you business-orientated souls will look suspiciously like a company’s values statement.
The Green Lines include:
- Leadership: Leadership is not a rank or a title, it is a behaviour.
- Fitness: Fitness should be at the heart of everything you do, regardless of your role.
- Standards: The standards you walk past are the standards you accept.
- Empowerment: You must allow your soldiers to make honest mistakes, but encourage to learn from them and not make them again.
- Role Model: You must live by the Values and Standards of the British Army at all times.
- Culture: Do not do things just because that’s the way they have always been done.
I first noticed Green Lines on Linkedin, where it received a mixed but generally positive reception; for what its worth, I like it.