Dispute resolution has often been alarmingly violent:
- Gazi (Mauritanian dialect): a plundering raid in which at least forty camels are employed.
- Falurombolas (Hungarian): the destruction of villages.
- Schrecklichkeit (German): a deliberate policy of terrorising non-combatants.
- Edsabil (Maguindanaon, Phillipines): to fight until death for the cause of Allah.
- Nuulone (Anywa, Nilo-Saharan): a victory dance with rifles after a war.
de Boinod, A.J. (2007) Toujours Tingo. London: Penguin Books. p.286.