Air Academy High School (AAHS) is a public high school in El Paso County, Colorado, United States that serves the northwestern end of Colorado Springs, Colorado, as well as the United States Air Force Academy, a US Service Academy. Air Academy is a part of Academy School District 20. It is the only high school in the US built on a military academy (the school district also has an elementary school on the Air Force Academy).
Air Academy is situated in the foothills of the Front Range, at an approximate elevation of 6,550 feet (1,995 m) above sea level.
AAHS offers Advanced Placement classes to students in numerous subject areas.
Air Academy offers varsity and junior varsity athletic teams competing in Colorado High School Activities Association 4A and 5A sporting events. Facilities at the school include two gyms, a weights facility, a track, a yoga and fitness room, soccer, baseball, and softball field, eight tennis court, and an outdoor football/soccer stadium (nicknamed the K-Dome). Bill Mondt coached Kadet football to a state football championship in 1962; he went on to be head coach at New Mexico University and later coached successfully at Eaton CO High School Gary Barnett was the head football coach at AAHS in the 1970s; he was later the head coach at Northwestern (1992-1998) and Colorado (1999-2005).
- T.A. Barron, fantasy writer
- Gregg Brandon, football coach
- Donald Cerrone, retired professional mixed martial artist, formerly with World Extreme Cagefighting, recently retired from Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Pat Forde, sports journalist currently with Sports Illustrated
- Linden King, retired professional football player…Chargers and Raiders
- Wil McCarthy, inventor, scientist, science fiction writer
- John Novembre, MacArthur Genius Award winner; Professor of Computational Genetics, University of Chicago
- Pat Rice, former MLB player (Seattle Mariners) and career pitching coach
- Eric Franklin Rosser, former keyboardist for John Mellencamp
- Matt Slauson, professional football player…NFL Chargers and others
- Maxwell Atoms, Creator of the Cartoon Network series Grim and Evil, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Evil Con Carne
- Steven Alexander, Award winning producer and director
- Rodney Zimmerman, Professional basketball player NBA and Europe
- Jeff King, Professional baseball player MLB Pirates and Royals
- James V. Carnes, football player and musician
This page is based on the copyrighted Wikipedia article < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Academy_High_School >; it is used under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA). You may redistribute it, verbatim or modified, providing that you comply with the terms of the CC-BY-SA.