Are you unhappy with your current level of fitness? Do you want to make a change, but are unsure of where to start? Getting in shape can be a daunting task but, with the right approach, it can be achievable. This article will give you some tips on how to get started.
Get the Right Equipment
No matter what kind of workout you are performing, having the right equipment is essential to getting the most out of it. You need to invest in quality gear that will help you make the most of your workout. If you are a serious weightlifter, power racks are a must-have for you (besides the ‘go to’ weights bench). They provide a safe and sturdy platform to perform exercises like squats and presses and can help you get results more efficiently and safely. And, if you are going to be lifting weights, having a comfortable weightlifting belt can help you stay safe and improve your results.
Finally, being prepared with the right gear can also help you stay consistent (see below) with your workouts. If you are performing cardiovascular (cardio) exercises, a good pair of training shoes is a must – although be aware there are different types of training shoes for different activities. Further, make sure the clothes you are wearing are appropriate, comfortable, and you can move in them – as well as having any other equipment you need before you start your workout session.
In short, the right equipment can make a big difference in your workout. So if you are serious about getting results, be sure to invest in the right gear. It will help you stay safe, improve your results, and enjoy your workouts more.
Mix Up Your Exercise Routine
It is always important to keep your body guessing when it comes to exercising. The body quickly adapts to exercise routines, which is why it is essential to mix up your routine from time to time. This will not only help prevent boredom but also ensure that you are consistently challenged and continue seeing results. There are a number of ways you can mix up your routine.
- Vary your exercise modality: If you typically go for a run, try swapping it out for a bike ride or a swim. Or, if you usually lift weights, try adding in some bodyweight exercises or using different types of equipment.
- Vary your exercise intensity: slow run versus sprints.
- Vary the duration: 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes.
- Vary the frequency: 4 days per week versus 3 days per week.
- Vary the environment: Exercise outdoors instead of indoors (and vice versa).
Do not be afraid to change your surroundings, as a change of scenery can do wonders for your motivation levels. So, next time you are feeling stuck in a rut, mix up your exercise routine and see how you feel. You may be surprised at how much better you perform and how much more enjoyable your workouts become.
Stay Consistent with Your Workouts
One of the most important things you can do to get in, and stay in, shape is to be consistent with your workouts. That means making sure you are performing some form of exercise most days of the week, even if it is just a short walk around the block (never underestimate the benefits of walking). Being consistent with your workouts is important because it helps your body to get used to exercise/physical activity, which makes it more effective. It also helps to reduce the risk of injuries by gradually increasing your activity level instead of starting off too high/fast and then crashing through injury/fatigue. If you are looking to get the most out of your workouts, consistency is key.
- One method that can aid you to stay consistent with your workouts is to set a regular time for them. This can be first thing in the morning, during your lunch break, or after work. Once you have established a regular time for your workouts, it will be easier to stick to them.
- Another method to aid consistency is to have a workout buddy. This can be someone you exercise with regularly or someone you check in with periodically to stay accountable. Having someone to support and motivate you can make all the difference when it comes to sticking with your workouts.
As noted earlier, having everything you need (i.e. equipment and clothing) will also make it more likely that you will actually follow through with your workout.
Do The Exercise You Enjoy
If you do not enjoy the exercise you are performing, then you are less likely to stick with it and see results. Therefore, it is important to find an activity that you enjoy and can look forward to doing. The best way to find an enjoyable exercise is to try different things until you find something that works for you. There are many different types of exercises out there, so do not be afraid to experiment. Once you have found an exercise you enjoy, it is important to find ways to make it more enjoyable.
- One way to do this is to set goals for yourself and strive to reach them. Having goals will give you something to work towards and help keep you motivated.
- You can also enjoy exercise with music. Listening to music while you exercise can help you stay focused and motivated, and it can also make time go by faster.
Following these tips will help you get the well-shaped body you always wanted. Remember, it takes time and consistency to see results, so do not get discouraged if you do not see a change overnight. Just keep at it and you will reach your goals.