Aim of the Course
The aim of the course is to teach students to deploy under warfare conditions and operate a 5 tonne armoured car. Using the skills learnt from the course students will be able to operate in hostile conditions using left and right hand drive and manual and automatic transmission vehicles.
Facilitated by IDT(A).
- Phase 3 personnel – minimum rank OR-2.
- Civil Servants employed as Instructional Staff are authorised to attend.
- Must hold a GB issued photocard driving licence with a minimum full Category C1 (unrestricted (manual as minimum)) entitlement.
- EU Licensin.
- Driving licence restriction code 78 limits drivers to vehicles with automatic transmissions – DST Leconﬁeld training CAV (Civilian Armoured Vehicle) vehicles have manual transmissions. (Full category C1 entitlement
is automatically awarded if an individual passed the category B driving test before 01 January 1997, (or national equivalent) those passing after this date must complete a separate category C driving test – the MOD does not train or test to category C1 but to the higher category C that includes the category C1 entitlement).
- Must have completed Defence General Service Driver (DGSD) Module 1 or national equivalent.
Five (5) working days, with twenty two (22) courses per year.
Defence School of Transport Leconfield.
Outline of Course
Students will experience driving a standard box Toyota Land Cruiser on and off road using the designated training area at the Defence School of Transport. Students will:
- Utilise the skid pan area and apply driving techniques under various scenarios.
- Carry out vehicle recovery implementing correct procedures.
- 2 car drills
- Carry out driver maintenance and vehicle recovery.
Full Personal Protection Equipment is issued and will be used throughout the course.
The RODET simulator is also available for students to experience immersive training and will practice access and egress drills.
Civilian Armoured Vehicle Driver Competency.