Aim of the Course
To provide a base knowledge of the role, work and responsibilities associated with the role of a junior chef within a military and Catering Retail & Leisure (CRL) environment.
Facilitated by IDT(A).
- There is no entry test for this course.
- However, students will be monitored and placed under a Student Review Board if found that they do not meet the required standard.
- Phase 2 students – Private/ Aircraftsman/ Leading Aircraftman (OR-2).
- To be eligible the course students must have completed recruit training; possess a General Training Index (GT) score of 38 or higher; have an appropriate medical category and be in possession a Fit to handle Food Certiﬁcate.
Ninety (90) working days, with twelve (12) courses per year.
The Defence College of Logistics, Policing and Administration based at Worthy Down Campus near Winchester in Hampshire (DCLPA Worthy Down).
Outline of Course
There is 10 days deployed operations training during this course where students will be required to operate a ﬁeld catering deployed site and prepare an operational hygiene unit ready for use. Students are summatively tested using appropriate tests and marking guides. Testing, where possible, is carried out by an independant invigilator who has not taught on the subjects. However, where Subject Matter Expert (SME) is required and the only one available is the course instructor, that person will act as the invigilator. The following Training Objectives (TOs) are covered:
- Apply the principles of Basic Food Hygeine.
- Apply the principles of Health and Safety in the workplace.
- Prepare, cook and serve meats, turkey, offal, vegetables, potatoes, ﬁsh, shellﬁsh, stocks, soups, sauces, rice, pasta, egg, sweets, pastry products, salads and sandwiches in an appropriate manner.
- Cater for Diversity.
- Demonstrate hot plate dishes.
- Operate a ﬁeld catering deployed site.
- Prepare an Operational Hygiene Unit (OHU) ready for use.
- Describe the catering organisation on a RAF unit.
- Explain the career path of TG19 personnel.
- Deﬁne own role in the maintenance of RAF Ethos, Core Values and Standards.
- Describe the role of TG19 in effective delivery of air power.
Highﬁeld Awarding Body for Compliance (HABC) Level 2 Award in Managing Food Safety in Catering.