Aim of the Course
To train selected ofﬁcers, warrant ofﬁcers (WO’s) and senior non-commissioned ofﬁcers (SNCO’s) with the skills and knowledge needed to perform the tasks of a ground based air defence (GBAD) Command Post Ofﬁcer. On successful completion of the course students will be able to plan and execute GBAD deployments and understand GBAD integration into the Air Defence Plan. The course utilises classroom and on-line theory training, discussion groups plus simulation and live exercises. It should be noted that some elements of the training incur additional security measures and may not be available to all international partners.
Facilitated by IDT(A).
- SNCO to Commissioned to the rank of Lieutenant (OF-1) or Service equivalent.
- IELTS Level 5.5.
Four (4) weeks, with two courses per year.
Royal School of Artillery Larkhill.
Outline of Course
All command post courses make extensive use of simulation to consolidate classroom based activity. Training Objectives cover the areas detailed below:
- Integrate GBAD into the Joint AD environment.
- The organisation, roles and tactical employment of UK Ground Based Air Defence (GBAD) artillery.
- Identify the key components of the Joint Air Defence environment and the way in which UK GBAD can be fully integrated.
- Includes both NATO and UK, (Land, Maritime and Air) Command and Control (C2) structures and procedures.
- Conduct Air Intelligent Preparation Environment (IPE) and GBAD Estimate.
- Theory and practical lessons utilising current Air threats against the GBAD Estimate and Air Intelligent Preparation of the Environment (Air IPE).
- Plan, Co-ordinate, Employ and Deploy UK GBAD.
- Primarily focused on UK deployment templates for each Weapon System and their role within the Layered Air Defence process.
- Conduct the duties of a GBAD CPO.
- A practical element situated in the GBAD Battle rooms focusing on applying the theoretical work previously learnt in the escalation and de-escalation process.