Aim of the Course
To provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to become an operational Tracker
Facilitated by IDT(A).
- Private soldiers and all non-commissioned ranks.
- IELTS level 6.
- Experience in basic dog handling.
Six (6) weeks, with courses as required.
Defence Animal Centre (DAC) Melton Mowbray.
Outline of Course
On completion of the course, the dog handler will be capable of:
- Maintaining a close working relationship with a trained Tracker dog.
- Assessing an operational situation and advise the employing agency as to whether or not his dog can be employed.
- Using the dog to cast an open area in search of tracks.
- Interpreting the dog’s behaviour and reactions, and advising the Team Commander of results.
- Identifying and following a track under all reasonable weather conditions.
- Recognising different methods employed in Dog Evasion.
- Recognising the basic signs of health, detect signs of sickness and report any abnormalities.
- Completing reports and understanding safety precautions.
- Conducting all forms of continuation training in order to maintain his dog at a high standard of operational efficiency.
The Defence Animal Centre can sometimes provide trained dogs, but refer any queries on this to IDT(A).
Related Course: Patrol Dog Handler’s Course.
A Pass Certiﬁcate is awarded to successful students.