The United Kingdom’s (UK’s) Ministry of Defence (MOD) officially recognises five trade unions:
- Prospect: represents engineers, managers, scientists and other specialists in both the public and private sectors.
- PCS: The Public and Commercial Services Union is the sixth largest trade union in the UK. Most of its members work in UK government departments and other public bodies
- UNITE: Unite the Union, commonly known as Unite, is a British and Irish trade union, formed on 1 May 2007, by the merger of Amicus and the Transport and General Workers’ Union. With just over 1.2 million members, it is the second largest trade union in the UK.
- GMB: The GMB is a general trade union in the United Kingdom which has more than 631,000 members. GMB members work in nearly all industrial sectors, in retail, security, schools, distribution and the utilities, social care, the NHS and ambulance service and local government.
- FDA: Formerly The Association of First Division Civil Servants, is a trade union for UK senior and middle management civil servants and public service professionals founded in 1918.
FOI 2018/04316 dated 29 March 2018.