Through the DAF, the MOD supports a variety of Defence Engagement activities designed achieve two aims:
- Provide practical help and assistance to recipient countries; and
- Contribute to the UK’s own security objectives by:
- Developing defence relations; and
- Increasing UK influence .
Assistance can be in the form of:
- The provision of equipment or services;
- Military training and education; and/or
- Building the capacity of the recipient country to address security challenges, both domestically and internationally.
Annual expenditure figures for the DAF:
- 2016/17 £27.32 million.
- 2017/18 £25.35 million.
It is important to that some activity which might fall within the scope of ‘military aid’ may be funded by the Conflict, Stability & Security Fund (CSSF), managed by the National Security Secretariat Joint Programme Hub.
FOI Request FOI2018/08113 dated 21 August 2018.