The Royal Commonwealth Ex-Services League (RCEL) represents the interests of Commonwealth citizens who have served with either the British or Commonwealth Forces.
It was founded in 1921 (as the British Empire Service League) by Field Marshals Earl Haig and Jan Smuts to link together the various ex-service organisations throughout the Commonwealth.
The archives of the League are retained at its headquarters in London (UK). The papers include minutes of the Council from 1952 onwards and those of the Executive Committee; reports of the Triennial Conference since 1921; annual audited accounts; and subject and correspondence files referring to individual ex-servicemen’s organisations in various countries. A full set of the magazine Our Empire is also available. Special permission is required for access to the papers and further enquiries should be addressed to the Secretary-General.