An aide memoire for field commanders of all levels.
The Military Orders and Mission Planning Training Package provides a comprehensive overview of the extant orders and mission planning processes currently in use by NATO forces.
The training package has been divided into a number of files to aid reading and assimilation of the information, and looks at:
- The difference between plans and planning.
- Common planning errors.
- The outline sequence of an operation, from start (getting a warning order for the operation) to finish (writing a written report about the operation).
- The aims and types of patrolling.
- The seven questions a commander should ask when planning an operation.
- Types of orders.
- Battle procedure and the warning order.
- Extraction of orders.
- The combat estimate.
- Sequence of orders (the SMEAC model).
- Orders templates.
- Patrol reports.
- Sketches of objective area and patrol area.
- Commander’s considerations: