HELLO AND WELCOME TO OUR NEW FORUM
Please ensure your comments are clean and polite

(with the usual caveats about racism, sexism and so on).

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Can I Have My Rent Deducted Direct from My Pay By a Private Landlord?

Question

Is it possible for a private landlord, or similar such party, engaged in a private agreement for housing rental to have the rent deducted directly from a service person’s salary and reflected on their payslip?

Answer (Short Version)

Yes.

Answer (Longer Version)

Overall, I would like to advise that the mechanism you outline is possible only in certain circumstances, discussed in more detail below:

• It is possible that a landlord owed rent could seek legal redress from their tenant through the County Court by making an attachment of earnings order.
  • For Service personnel, such orders are facilitated through the Armed Forces (Forfeitures and Deductions) Regulations 2009 which allow any such pay deduction orders from a UK Court to be recognised and actioned by Defence Business Services (DBS).
  • The regulations permit any kind of court-ordered deduction from pay to be made.
  • Therefore, it is possible that if a Court ordered that a Service person pay rent to their private landlord direct from salary each month, then that order could be carried out by DBS.
  • Outside of a Court Order mandating a deduction from pay, it is not possible for a private landlord, or similar such party, engaged in a private agreement for housing rental to have the rent deducted directly from a Service person’s salary.
  • A Service person is unable to request to have their rent deducted from their pay and paid to a third party.
  • When a Service person enters into a rental agreement with a private landlord, the contract is between that Service person and the landlord.
  • As such, the responsibility to ensure payments are made sits with the Service person.

Advertisements