Aim of the Course
To provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to become an operational Currency Detection Dog Handler.
Facilitate by IDT(A).
- Private soldiers and all non-commissioned ranks.
- IELTS level 6.
- Experience in basic dog handling.
Nine (9) weeks, with courses as required.
Defence Animal Centre (DAC) Melton Mowbray.
Outline of Course
On completion of training, the Currency Detection Dog Handler will be capable of:
- Maintaining a close working relationship with a trained Currency Detection Dog.
- Stating the regulations and safety precautions relating to searching.
- Employing the dog to search, ﬁnd and indicate the presence of hidden currency.
- Assessing an operational situation and advising the employing agency on whether or not the dog can be usefully employed.
- Operating a Currency Detection Dog in searches for hides and in buildings, all types of vehicles, ships, aircraft, outside areas and personal possessions Interpreting dog behaviour and reactions whilst searching for currency.
- Recognising the basic signs of health, detect signs of sickness and report any abnormalities.
- Conducting all forms of continuation training in order to maintain his dog at a high standard of operational efﬁciency.
The Defence Animal Centre can sometimes provide trained dogs, but refer any queries on this to IDT(A).
Related course: Patrol Dog Handler Course.
A Pass Certificate is awarded to successful students.